I Forge Iron

So, I've posted a picture of my anvil before, but here it is again...

0124151721a-1_zpsnv8huwjx.jpg

The holes in the corner are about 1.165" - 1.175" dia. And about 0.82" down the hole closest to the hammer, the hole steps down to just over 3/4" dia. I can't reach it with my calipers, and didn't think to make a compass or something like that to measure the hole.

What would y'all do in this situation? At first I wanted to make some sort of adapter with a 1" hardy hole, but it would have to sit above the hole/anvil, and I don't know how deep it would need to be to accommodate most tools. On the other hand, it's not like the local Ace Hardware is selling Hardy tools, so I assume I'll end up making all my tools myself anyway. So do I really need a 1" hardy hole for anything.

Maybe I should just make all my tools out of 1" round and taper them to fit in the just over 3/4" hole that's already there?

Or 1.25" round and put a short taper on them to fit in the 1.17" hole?

I know I can make something to go in my vise instead, but I really don't want to be hammering on the jaws of my vise all the time, when I have an anvil sitting right there next to it. Also, I need to make some hold downs for work pieces on the anvil. Maybe I should just weld some 3/8" or 1/2" I.D. pipe to the 2" bar that skirts the top of the railroad ties.

Thoughts? Opinions? Guidance?

My immediate thought is that I wouldn't make a taper that puts a wedging force against those thin webs
I'd set the block on end with the radiused edge up, and weld on a square hardy.
But I'm guessing you've already made a conscious decision on this matter.

Edited by Stefflus

Do you weld or have access to someone who does?  I would create the hardy holes out of heavy wall square tubing, or angle iron, in whatever size you want, then weld one or two of them to the back straight side of you block.  Having two would let you set up two different hardies.