I Forge Iron

Well,,, I did it.

Well folks, I went down that slippery slope of making damascas/pattern welded steel. And, I read it on here and it was a true statement; it is a rather addictive venture. So far, everything is going very well, welds are solid, no fighting with it, overall, nice results.
The question I will pose is one that I know has been covered.

What is nice simple way to begin with the etching process to bring out the pattern of the material?
I have been just playing around with muratic acid and time and the results are not too bad so far, but I would like to hear how those of you folks with WAY more experience go about it.

As usual, Thanks a million in advance.

ApprenticeMan,

Am I correct in assuming that the longer I let it soak the deeper the contrast will be (for a given set of materials of course), or do you seem to hit a ceiling and that is it? I realize that some material combos will yield a more striking contrast than others. For example, the test run I am in the middle of is a mix of El Cheapo bandsaw blade and steel strapping. Pretty interesting so far.
As an aside, I made a nifty little saex from it, six inch blade. After final heat treat, it had made a tough blade that is holding up well and holding its edge with gusto.

Also, it seems that I need to get the polish pretty well nailed down and finished before I go to the etch. Am I on the right track on that?

Anything else to watch out for?

Again thanks to you and everyone else

Strong concentrations do not leave as good an etch as the strong solutions etch everything and you want a differential etch. To get deeper etches a weaker solution but with longer time with regular cleaning the crud off the piece works better.

Just to see how the piece is coming along I have used hot vinegar with salt---nice because if you "forget" about it it will not damage the piece. Doesn't leave any Topo though.

Thomas