I Forge Iron

Variations on a theme

Stormcrow

A small batch of Benghazi Warfighters.  All of them are forged from 1/4" 80CrV2 steel.

First one is pretty standard fare for me, with tan canvas Micarta and Kydex.

jp01_zpsbd870018.jpg

jp02_zps66c99418.jpg

One with tan TeroTuf and a black oxide finish.

ck01_zpse65a8b8b.jpg

ck02_zps5370321f.jpg

Another in tan Micarta.

cj01_zps5ae2ccde.jpg

And a shorty double-edged version built for a Border Patrol agent, with olive drab canvas Micarta.

dp01_zps38c55254.jpg

The difference in balance between a regular ~ 6 1/2" single edged Benghazi Warfighter and a ~ 5" double edged is interesting.  Usually they are slightly blade-heavy, making them chop decently for such a short knife.  The angle of the shot makes it look a bit further forward, but it's balancing just in front of the handle slab.

balance02_zpsb1a130bc.jpg

With the shorty, the balance point was right under the first of the handle rivets, making it feel very fast.

balance01_zpsbd91a78c.jpg

Thank y'all!

Bacha - The TeroTuf is the handle material, not the black oxide finish.  TeroTuf is similar in concept to Micarta in that both are stacked up layers of cloth impregnated with a resin that hardens.  In the case of TeroTuf, it's polyester cloth and resin and is tougher than Micarta, as well as less toxic to work with.

Biggundocotr - There is no average year.  :)  Hard to say, really.

I'm really digging the 80CrV2, and am building up my supply on hand while using up my 5160.  It's a bit stiffer under the hammer and harder to file, but not enough to make me not want to use it.  Certainly easier to work with than worn-out Nicholson files, which should be something like 1095.