I Forge Iron

First knife I made

Rainbows

Thought I might as well post the first knife I made, in ten years time I might hunt this thread out and then I can see how far I have come after (hopefully) improving.

post-53754-0-08094600-1421588700_thumb.j

O1 steel blade with a walnut handle and brass inserts.

It was supposed to be a stock removal knife but when heat treating it I pushed it further into the fire to heat the entire blade the tip hit the base of the forge and the knife bent at the point where it was already hot so there is now a tiny amount of forging that's gone into it to get it straight again.

The design is very loosely based off my grandfathers scout knife, a camillus 1007, which snapped in half a bit before making this one.

post-53754-0-46280400-1421589154_thumb.j

Blade also has a weird texture in it after heat treating, before quenching it it was a perfectly flat bevel to the best of my knowledge but now it has tiny bumps and stuff, when sharpening it post heat treat the top of the bumps got polished and flattened leaving black in the deeper parts which I thought looks kinda neat so I didn't grind them out all the way.  

The tang goes right through and is visible at the bottom. The original pan was to have a bit of brass at the bottom which I glued on but I didn't let it cure long enough before shaping it so it fell off and I thought I might as well let it stay off.