I Forge Iron

Built a blown mini forge, need a bit of help

Sock Troll

So my Christmas bonus came and went, now I have a paint can forge to show for it. I tried initially firing it with a plumber's torch, but found it unsatisfactory, so I knocked together a blown burner using the bathroom exhaust fan I salvaged form our remodeling. It works surprisingly well, I even managed to (mostly) stick a (very poorly done) faggot weld on my first attempt ever,so I know it gets plenty hot. The issue I'm having is a "cool" spot directly across from my burner. The forge chamber is only 2.5" in diameter, so I tried backing the burner up until it was just barely in the forge, which helped a little, but I still get a noticeably darker space where the burner opening is. I've also noticed that I get a good bit more scale on metal in this area as opposed to metal closer to the ends of the forge, even with a reducing atmosphere.

The burner outlet is 3/4" iron pipe, would reducing/increasing this help? The extra scale makes me think my fuel may not be mixing well enough before entering the forge. Thoughts, ideas, and snarky comments all accepted!

I get a cool spot adjacent to the burner on my blown for too but only when I turn blower up too high (open air flow gate) As if the blower over powers the fuel burn. Otherwise at a more tame mix, I can melt steel if I don't pay attention...

Sorry for the delay, work and weather have been conspiring to keep me away from the forge. I'm pleased to announce that adding an elbow has turned my cool spot into a hot spot! Now I just need my knife steel to get here and we can get this party started!