I Forge Iron

Career Oportunities?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of career options are there in blacksmithing? Can one be a blacksmith in today's world, and not starve to death in the process? I have done a few hours of research but have come up kind of dry in that regard, so any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stiks,

MY name is Son Daughtry. I am a full time blacksmith. (i live presently) i have a wife i have 3 children (no longer at home) i own my house. i own 2 horses. and we eat 3 square meals a day. i also have an apprentice named Jonah who lives with me, and he eats 3 meals a day. so yes you can. Granted it's hard work. but anythnig in like worth having requires alittle bit of work. i love my trade and would not do anything else.

Son Daughtry

So how would I go about becoming a blacksmith? What sort of things do you make and sell? Some pointers if you would, I am very interested in pursuing this. Also not sure where you live but does location have anything to do with it? I live in North West Montana USA. Thank you for the feedback.

There is only one way as far as I am concerned to get started.....do it! There is a thread hear that deals with How You got started in Blacksmithing....read that. I am in my 2nd life and am trying to develope the skills needed to be proficient....I love it! There are so many directions you can take as the trade opens up to you. Horses, art, just hooks are saleable. I know 1 guy who makes tongs for a plant that does something you cant handle with anything else. Some make railings, house fixtures, knives on and on. The trouble is it dont come quick. it takes a while to not only learn the process but to be proficient takes time and practice....kind of like playing an instrament. Find a local Blacksmith Organization. There is a place for beginners on the front page go look. Hope you like the craft !