I Forge Iron

DIY Anvil + Striking Anvil

Yes, I mean the angle iron braces between the structural tubing (Square Hollow Section, or SHS* to you, mate) legs.

You will find that even If you use multiple heavy passes to weld any structural member at one end only, you create a tuning fork. Minimal 0 to 15 degree splay in the legs, wrapping the legs with 10 yards of logging chain and filling the hollow portions with oiled sand will help somewhat, but only strong bracing will stop a stand from hopping when struck. The anchor points in the feet are just a way to mitigate the symptoms, and are not a cure for the problem.

This goes for industrial swage block stands as well as striking anvil stands. Multiple braces, or X braces, are better than single point lateral bars at spreading the stresses. The old cast iron anvil and swage block stands were made with a lot of mass, and without any sharp corners, in order to deal with those stresses.

Power hammers are made with a 10:1, 15:1 or even 20:1 base to hammer ratio,and still need a solid foundation. If you are striking on a 50 pound block with a 16 or 20 pound sledge, there is a lot of energy that has to go somewhere, even if you never miss the hot metal.

*I teach this stuff in the US, and had to google it to see what the heck "90 SHS" was. Anybody ever tell you that you blokes talk funny and drink your beer too warm? They have? Just checking.  :D

*I teach this stuff in the US, and had to google it to see what the heck "90 SHS" was. Anybody ever tell you that you blokes talk funny and drink your beer too warm? They have? Just checking.  :D

We may talk funny but we drink ice cold beer! It's the other funny talking people in the UK that drink warm beer.

Ah!!! I missed your location when reading Johns last post. You're the ones with the giant over grown rats running around in the country side! LOL :P

I didn't know about the beer. I know our old neighbors from Oz were enthraled they got to have snow while living here in the US on duty from your navy. They still ate that nasty stuff that looks like regurgitated cud from a cow ( veggimite)