I Forge Iron

Possibly New Tong idea

rockstar.esq

I was thinking about the offset box tongs I've seen for sale that allow a grip on bar stock without having the hinge pin in the way.  It occurred to me that a three legged stool doesn't wobble so what if a set of tongs were made with two pins on the lower jaw and one pin on the upper jaw.  The pins would be perpendicular to the length of the tongs creating a three prong grip on whatever size stock they were sized for.  

I was thinking those prongs could be attached to any tong that had sufficient metal on the bits effectively giving a "two in one" setup.

For example a 1/2" round bolt head tong could have those pins attached allowing 1/2" round stock to be griped along it's length without hinge interference.

It occurred to me that the pins could be hourglass shaped to create more gripping area on round stock.

I don't have a welder and my skills haven't developed enough to make a set yet.  I'm curious if anyone's tried something similar and knows if it's a good idea or not.

The jaws can each have multiple holes punched or drilled into them and the pins can be rearranged to suit tie size and shape of the stock. 

I feel like these types of tongs have little practical utility.  Bolt head tongs take care of clearing for the hinge.  If the stock is so long that you need to hold it closer to it's center for stability, then you can simply use your hand.   If the stock is too long and too hot to hold in hand, then you'll be burning your tong hand anyway with these tongs, unless the offset also positions the end of the stock away from the reins.

Yuriy

That's a good idea.  After thinking about it, there's some potential to have a different set up on one side versus the other.  So a set could feasibly grip two different sizes.  The offeset hinge isn't just for long stock.  It's also for gripping curved stock that would othewise interfere with the hinge pin.   A scrolled end for example.

I'm going to give it a try since it seems like and easier approach to wobble free gripping.