I Forge Iron

My first two knives

redouxranch

I just finished my first two knives. One is a kitchen knife for my wife I made from an old saw blade she picked up at a garage sale and the other is from a friends used farrier rasp. The rasp knife still needs a handle but is pretty close other than that. I did stock removal only on the kitchen knife and the rasp knife is a combo of forging and stock removal. The kitchen handle is from an old piece of walnut I had in a pile and I think I'll use it on the rasp knife too.

Also, the patina on the kitchen knife is intentional as DW wanted it to look kind of rustic like the saw was. Let me know what you think!

post-55090-0-46143000-1404705155_thumb.j

post-55090-0-16947000-1404705187_thumb.j

post-55090-0-15768700-1404705223_thumb.j

post-55090-0-15401600-1404705247_thumb.j

On the rasp knife there is a combination of both. I did some forging to get the rough shape then grinding and stock removal to get the rest of the way. I'm not good enough with the hammer yet to get it all in the forge. That will come hopefully! :-) the kitchen knife cuts beautifully. Sharp enough to shave it cuts veggies like a dream. Now if I can keep the wife from cutting herself with it!!! :-). Thanks for the comment.