I Forge Iron

NC ABANA at the State fair

Didn't really know where to put this so if it is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.
First, I've been offline for a while since my father's death in early Sept. So, I'm glad to be back.
Now, earlier this summer, I joined NC ABANA. I haven't been able for various reasons to go to any meetings since. Well, they always run the booth at the NC State Fair. I volunteered and got the chance to work there this past Saturday. It was a blast! I learned more in 12 hours in that booth than I learned in two years basically going it alone! I didn't get any pics though. :( But I'll be back there this Saturday and trying my hand at something new. If my wife will trust me with the camera, I'll take a few pics and see if I can learn to post them.
Last Saturday I made three meat forks and a hook. I gave one of the forks away (shouldn't have done that, maybe) but I still have two. I think that this weekend I am going to work on a dragon's head finial for a fire poker. We'll see how that works out. Any local smiths going to be there? Stop by, ask for Eric and say, "Hi."

Very nicely done demo you guys have allot to be proud of.

A gentleman was making an S hook with a "wave" element in the middle which seemed a fun way to dress up a very simple item.

You have a friendly bunch of guys who we re very cordial to my wife when she went in to look at the ironwork while I watched the demo.

I hope to make it to some of your meetings this year.

Great to have you back. I always love getting around a group of active blacksmiths. It's amazing the amount of knowledge that can be passed around in a day's time of forging. Hardest part is leaving at the end of the day. Let us know how it turns out next weekend, and do post pictures if you can.

Solvarr,
This was the first of our events that I have made, but it obviously left a good impression. Up until now, I met a few grumpy guys that said they would teach me, then didn't for whatever reason. These guys at the fair really were eager to teach and to help however they could.

Candid,
I agree with you there. This art is fascinating to me. I enjoy having people around who will not only tell me how to do it, but show me too. Then let me mess it up a couple of times until I've got it down.

It sounds like you've met up with some of the same guys I have! :D

Edited to add: This has been a rough year for me as I know it has for a lot of people. My stress levels were through the roof, I'm sure. But my wife commented this week that I seem to have mellowed out after getting into the forge at the fair. Anvils, hot iron and hammers are pretty good for beating out a lot of frustration.

solvarr, yep. But I've never burned coal in the new forge I finished building recently. I have to get some. I also have to wait until this burn ban is removed, I guess.

Pault17, GREAT! I look forward to seeing you there.

Containerized fires from which embers cannot escape are not covered by the burning ban. I talked to the state office a few weeks ago.

Your forge counts about the same as a grill.

If you need coal let me know ASAP

They will be selling it at the hammerin tomorrowand I can bring a bag back for you.

I had a chance to stop by the fair this afternoon after work. worked from about 5 until about 9 or so. I had two of my older children with me, so I had to get them home.
Coal can get metal hot quick. I have never actually seen it sparkle like that:o
I worked off to the side and leached off the heat of the main demonstrator. I made a handful of hooks, leaf keyrings and small overhand knot keyrings, which I handed out to various children whe kept asking "what are you doing now". I even had the (mis)forturne of being interviewed by a college radio show reporter. She asked all kinds of questions about why "we" liked blacksmithing, isn't it a dead art, etc. I pretty much answered by quoting the forward in Charles McCravens "blacksmith's craft" book without knowing it, mixed in with information I have long gleamed from the Forum here. Thanks all of you for the answers to her questions!!!:D
One of my daughters snapped a few pics of "me in action" It was warm and a little muggy there too

working_at_the_fair_4.JPG working_at_the_fair_5.JPG

I have room for at least one.
We'll settle up when I get back

I'll be looking forward to meeting you.

Great shots there, Pault17. I'm about to head out the door, pick up some breakfast and get on down that way. See you there, hopefully.

Well, Pault17 and I met yesterday at the fair. I think we both had a good time. I was off to a rough start, but then again I was trying some things that I have never done. Of course they didn't turn out exactly right. By the end of the night I was working on door pulls for screen doors and leaf keychains.
Don't let Paul fool you, he's better than he lets on.
I'm looking forward to getting back into my own forge and putting out a few projects and taking on some more complicated things in a little time.