I Forge Iron

bridge anvil

So I've never seen an anvil pop up on my craigslist, and scrolling down I found this
 410# bridge anvil, 410 lb bridge anvil, asking $1200 OBO in Odessa
Never heard of them looks really cool and has a hardy hole and big weight. Does that seem like a reasonable price for sometHing like this? Wish it wasn't so expensive, would love to get ahold of this biggun'.
What do you guys think of this anvil.

They generally are cast iron,

That one has been milled down---they were used for repointing cable tool bits pre rotary drilling and so often have extreme face damage

The hardy size is way larger than common hardy tooling

I would not pay half of what they are asking.  I think I got mine for US$1 a pound and feel I overpaid. The next one I was associated with went to a friends classroom for free...

Do you have a specific use for a large soft anvil?  A 5th generation smith in Stroud OK took one and built a frame for it and flipped it over and used the bottom to flatten/true plows he repointed.

Thanks for the info. I was mainly just curious if anyone would know anything about them. I saw it was in my town, so thought I would ask about it. Glad to find out they are usually soft, and no I don't need such a big one for anything, I would like a bigger one mine is pretty light but not necessarily that big and I sure ain't gonna spend no twelve hundred on that one. My martial arts teacher I just recently found out from him that he has an old post anvil at his shop, hopefully I can go by and see it one day and I can post some pics.