I Forge Iron

First Fire in my Buffalo 650

Heelerau

This arvo fired up there buff for the first time ever, as only just fitted the new fire pot and tuyere iron. Mate Gary both a farrier and blacksmith and his wife Shelley and my wife Wendy who took a couple of photos. The forge is set up in the front of the main workshop, as a temporary affair. Just cut a new block for the anvil. We did a couple of quick jobs, a poker for the forge and closed up a bent wrought iron hook which is on a chain I dug up out of a dam on the farm next door to the sheep station I was born on. It is a hand made wrought iron hook and ring set I use for snigging logs and the like. Looking forward now to setting up the new smithy. 

Cheers 

Heeleraupost-24525-0-98329600-1396778133_thumb.j

Greetings Heelerau,

Looks like you got it going your way...  Nice to make first smoke on your first forge...  Good luck on setting up you smithy ..  I know how much work it is but it all worth it...   I have several forges and it always fun they all have their own temperament..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks you blokes,  a pity the wife did not get a shot of my mate and I  sorting out the hook,  I had to weld another handle section onto the old tongs I was using for the job.  The smoke did clear as the coke got to temp and a nice soft heat. 

cheers 

Gordon