I Forge Iron

Greetings from Eastern Mt- New Anvil

Hi, new to forum, my dad was a very talented blacksmith. I messed around with it when a teenager, and am now picking it up again after 30 years. I have assembled some tools, and would like your opinion on my anvil. I picked it up for $250.00. It's a Hay Budden #161. I gave it a quick lick with a soft grinding disk, and took the pics. It looked to me like it was used by a left handed smith because the left edge has a lot more use on it, which works great for me as I'm a righty. I wondered if it was refurbished, but not sure how to tell. I made a couple quick projects and it seems good to me. Any opinions welcome, can't wait to really get going. Seems like a great bunch of folks on the forum.

post-53225-0-66671600-1396213247_thumb.j

post-53225-0-16475800-1396213255_thumb.j

yes I would say that is a great score, I looked for over a year ( I live in red lodge) and found a few at auctions that were beat and sold for way too much, finally just bought one on ebay and had it shipped.  Hay buddens are awesome anvils.  that one definitely has been ground on but if it still has good rebound looks good to go.  Hey you should check out the northern rockies blacksmith associations spring conference since it will be in roscoe this year, if you can make it.

yes I would say that is a great score, I looked for over a year ( I live in red lodge) and found a few at auctions that were beat and sold for way too much, finally just bought one on ebay and had it shipped.  Hay buddens are awesome anvils.  that one definitely has been ground on but if it still has good rebound looks good to go.  Hey you should check out the northern rockies blacksmith associations spring conference since it will be in roscoe this year, if you can make it.

Just looked at the website, gonna plan on that for sure. Looks like it will be a great workshop.