I Forge Iron

A question for people who might know

Hoary

I'm looking to use a piece of metal from a computer casing for a heat sheild for my tuyere.The casing is most likely from the pentium 2 days. I was wondering how could I tell if the metal is galvanized? IT doesn't appear to have the powdery white looking coating on the inside and the outside is the beige looking kind of painted look. My dad says paint wouldn't stick to galvanized parts but I'm just trying to be cautious.

it may not be galvanized but it is rust preventative coated. not sure why you would need a heat shield. You don't need to be on top of the fire, just your work piece needs the heat. I have not noticed a lot of heat coming from the tuyere. Can you post a picture of your set up? A lot of computer metal is galvanealed which is done so paint will stick but it is still coated with stuff that is toxic when heated.

Ok that's all I really needed. Actually the tuyere, well hmmm. ok imagine the forge is a tire rim the tuyere is a series of black nipple piping with a flange acting as a catch through the hole in the rim the problem is that I needed an extra small sheet of metal I can cut a hole through and place under the flange to ensure that there is no spots in the tire rim (ie. where the rotor bolts would go) which coal and clinker could fall through. I guess saying a heat sheild wasn't the proper terminology for what I was looking for. I guess I could try my set up as is for now and hope I could fill in any extra openings with clay, I just wanted the extra security ya know. But computer metal is galved so i'll stay away from that. Thanks!