I Forge Iron

Leaking tue iron...how to repair

SanMiguel

Has anyone had any luck with a tue iron repair..? Mine is leaking water into the coke through small holes at the tip of the tue iron. It is obviously cast iron and i have tried welding it with nickel rods and tig'n with nickel wire as well but it never lasts. Even fire cement works for a while but not for long. Any ideas please? I would buy a new one if i could find one it's old British William all day&co. 

The coefficients of thermal expansion are working against you. The tue heats up and the cast iron moves at a different rate than the repair material. Not sure how many holes you have but you might consider one of the following:

1. Copper based block seal works well in engines that have water leaks into the crankcase. You don't want radiator stop-leak; get the block seal type.
2. Drill and tap the holes then plug with cast iron set screws (McMaster Carr has them).
3. Weld a steel plate over the whole nose. I would probably make it look like a big Dixie cup so it can extend back toward the bosh.