I Forge Iron

New tools for my forge

those are some really nice tools you got there, the twists are amazing, how'd you attach the shovel blade to the handle though, did you forge weld it on?

I also notice that the handles are a bit bent, not sure if that's a part of the design, but if you'd want to straighten them out without marring the twists, you can use a rawhide, wooden or brass hammer i think to straighten them, just be sure to do it on a wooden surface, i find it nice just to have a small piece of those pallet boards, just roughly 20 cm long near my anvil for straightening purposes, and if you don't have a soft hammer yet, you could also saw down pallet boards if you can get them, it should be rather easy, they're everywhere, screw 4-5 of them together and cut a small slot in the center for an handle, it won't last you for years, but it's very easy to replace and make (and if it's pine it should also smell a whole lot better than rawhide hammers)

The shovel handle is mig welded on the back side. I'm not very good with forge welds just yet. All three have the same curve through the handle just for looks. The shovel is .375 rod and .125 plate. The other two are from .5 plate that I cut to use as square stock. I don't have a soft hammer yet and thank you for the idea, I'll have to try that.

Hi TJ,

I like those tools too. Very nice with the twisting and bending. If the bends aren't disturbing while using the tools I'd let them be so: unique design elements.

If you don't have any soft material hammer can try what I do: grab a piece of firewood and hit the twisted stuff with it on a stump. It works until you manage to get something better. (If there is no firewood, any piece of unbarked thicker piece of wood works like a primitive mallet.)

Greetings

Gergely

It is a good start, those will last you a long time and give you something to look at and remeniss over. I pick up wooden baseball bats at yard/garage/rummage sales, they make excellent mallets. I cut the handle for the handle and use the fat end for the head. they work a treat are durable and cheap. The last I bought 6 bats for $1.00. Did I say cheap? <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.