I Forge Iron

Help ID this little forge

stovestoker

I just picked up this little forge. It is a my first "real" forge. The duck foot looks home made, or not original but I think it will work. the inside says to clay. The guy I got it from didn't know about claying so he built a liner out of 3/4 inch steel and a grate from thick stainless. He never built a fire in it so I'm not sure if the whole collection is going to work. I was wondering what the screws in the side of the pan are for. They go all the way around the pan. Not sure if anyone recognizes who may have manufactured it.

post-48222-0-38882300-1395006358_thumb.j

post-48222-0-10281200-1395006402_thumb.j

post-48222-0-44511700-1395007253_thumb.j

post-48222-0-49919000-1395007312_thumb.j

post-48222-0-05511000-1395007359_thumb.j

Can't help with the forge, but I noticed the aircraft breathing oxygen tank on the ground.

Yup, I live near an air force base. It came off a b 29. I got it from a guy of was an aircraft mechanic during wwII. I was going to use it for a hot rod gas tank. But it was to cool as it.was. when I get the shop built I think I will just hang it up somewhere.

I have a friend who has been using one for a portable air tank for decades now. Take care of it, it may have some value now as a collectible if still original.

The screws on the forge probably held a sheet metal wind break in place. I have a really small farrier forge that has those. Mine has a band held by the screws that sandwiches the sheet metal shield. You can kind of see it in this picture.

post-9835-0-93856500-1395027529_thumb.jp

I have a friend who has been using one for a portable air tank for decades now. Take care of it, it may have some value now as a collectible if still original.

The screws on the forge probably held a sheet metal wind break in place. I have a really small farrier forge that has those. Mine has a band held by the screws that sandwiches the sheet metal shield. You can kind of see it in this picture.

That a neat little forge.

I picked it up at a garage sale years ago for $20. Now I need to get some time put aside, and restore it to working condition again. I picked up an old 50# anvil to go along with it, and I have a small post vise to complete the package. Overall it isn't in that bad of shape, and should clean up pretty easily.

I wasn't sure what it was until I saw a similar one posted, and it was described as a farrier's forge. Makes sense considering the size of a horseshoe, and the portability needed.