I Forge Iron

Anvil needs repair--options

My son and I just got started in blacksmithing.  The anvil I have says Corsan Denton Burdekin + co.     Sheffield cdbc--  Hard to read.  Rings good but the face and step are level with each other and rough shape.Pritchel hole at corner chipped badly.horn good shape. 75 to 100 lbs. What is the best practice to get smoothed out on face.  Is it a quality anvil-from England I guess.Need advice-- Ps we are really getting hooked on blacksmithing.  David and Josh.

Hello David and Josh,

Welcome. Some anvils have only one level front to back, more common on European type anvils.
How about some pictures? The motto for repairing anvils when you are first starting out is "grind less, forge more!" (I just made that up) Until you use an anvil a fair amount, you won't even know what the defects you want to eliminate will do to your work.
I have one anvil with rough edges that are slowly smoothing out as I forge over them.

Hey---We are forging on ahead Leaves,tools,s hooks etc.May never fix it just some new guys wondering about It. We use a 400 champion blower and heavy rim and brake drum off a ford ranger . 2 1/2 black iron pipe. I come from a long line of scronger/packrats. All came together Quick. wished we had started sooner. Thanks for the feedback. David

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!  Don't worry about the looks/condition of the anvil, at least right now. You are doing right by forging leaves and such, when you have several years under the belt then you may want a nice anvil....and maybe not.

How bout updating your profile and give your location. Ya never know, could be someone here on IFI that lives just up the street!  Good to hear that you and your boy are doing this together! Priceless times together for sure.