I Forge Iron

Looking for classes

John Martin

A quick search found blacksmithing classes 44 miles from Delafield WI, which should be close to your location. There is also a Blacksmithing meeting in November just 45 miles from Delafield WI. There is a blacksmith class just 16 miles from Delafield being held 10-6, this Saturday !!.

There is a blacksmith shop 86 miles from Delafield that I would like to visit, and another shop just 32 miles from Delafield, and another 87 miles, and another 126 miles, and another 23 miles.

There are farriers listed at 68 miles, 60 miles, 20 miles, 26 miles, 42 miles, and one farrier just 1.3 miles from Delafield.

All this is to say that there are lots of possibilities, some 2 to 20 miles, and all of the above less than 100 miles from Delafield. Delafield was chosen only because it was midway between Milwaukee and Madison.

Your fortunate as there is a shop just 20 miles away from Delafield that is a must visit location if you are anywhere in the state of WI.

There was a poll on IFI about where you learned the most about Blacksmithing.

The internet came in first with 26.6% . Being as your asking your questions on IForgeIron.com you have the first source already. Local group conferences were second at 25.3%. November, go to the hammer in at Burlington, WI.
Do a google search for UMBA, or Upper Midwest Blacksmith Association.

Classes came in at 10%.

Just giving you the results of the IFI poll.

okay. i went to their site and couldn't find anything about it, so i'm kind of hoping that you will post something about it. my dad said that he would take me. and then like 60% of what you learn is from trial and error...practice.....i know when and where and how to get to it, but i dont know the time....hours....

the elder m brother

UMBA click here and then click "news and events" and it is the second item listed. November 10 Fall Meeting Centaur Forge Burlington, WI. Usually these things start 8 ish and end in time for dinner. Contact them before you go for all the details.
-----------------------------

Don't give up just because you found one answer, keep digging. Now do a google search for "Centaur Forge Burlington, WI" and you get Centaur Forge 117 N Spring St Burlington, WI 53105

Click on their URL and you get "Centaur Forge" then click on events and you get:

2007 Fall Clinic Centaur Forge Wisconsin clinic sponsored by Mustad
World class clinicians! This is a clinic you can’t miss!On Friday, join us after the clinic for dinner and drinks at Centaur. Take the opportunity to relax with friends or go over something from the clinic with Austin in Wisconsin!

In Wisconsin – 117 N. Spring St., Burlington, WI 53105
Austin Edens, CJF; Friday, October 5 and Saturday, October 6; 8am-5pm
Austin is a past captain of the American Farrier’s Team and has been a judge in theAFA Competition. He has competed in the United Kingdom and has won the World Championship in Calgary. Austin has also been a member of the AFA Cultural Exchange program. Austin’s awards include the following: USA National Champion and Overall HighpointWinner 2001-04; North American Challenge Cup Winner; Mustad Specialty Forging Winner 2001-03; Canadian National Champion 2003; World Forging Champion 2001-03; World Horseshoeing Champion 2003; Reserve World Champion Blacksmith 2002; WorldChampion Blacksmith 2003.

Keep digging, go to google map and get directions from Delafield to Burlington and you find that you are only 34.2 miles away. From what I see it should be a straight shot down 83 South. Contact them before you go for all the details.

Ok it is a farrier event, but that alone should make it interesting to a blacksmith.

-----------------------------

When I work on the site, it does not show me as on line.

22.8 mi from Delafield.

If you are into knives, you may want to check out the JANESVILLE, WI Northern Lakes Knife Co. Annual Fall Knife Show, Holiday Inn Express/Janesville Conference Center, OCT. 5-6. Call for details.

Blacksmithing, Farrier, Bladesmith, all use the same anvil. Do not get tunnel vision, follow all the leads. You can learn something from each specialty of metalworking.

There is a smith by the name of Thomas Latane who lives in Wisconsin, though I don't know exactly where, who gives courses. From the little work of his that I have seen, he is a world class artist smith of the traditional sort. Google him for details.