I Forge Iron

My Gas Forge Body, Completed

DavidTodtman

Hi Folks.  Here are pictures of my completed gas forge body.  (From a 5 gal. portable compressed air cylinder from Princess Auto.)

post-51424-0-55537300-1392938658_thumb.j

post-51424-0-29006000-1392938731_thumb.j

post-51424-0-06645000-1392938801_thumb.j

post-51424-0-94127300-1392938846_thumb.j

I patterned my forge body after the build post by Taylor Martin who posts here as Tbmartin.  Thanks Taylor for the inspiration and build ideas.  I said I would flatter you by copying your excellent work! 

His build is pictured here: 
http://www.iforgeiro...nd-a-new-hobby/

Next I will complete the burner and track down insulation and related refractory stuff. 

I do have a question that occurred to me the other day:  I live at Calgary, Alberta, Canada.   The elevation here is 1,048 m (3,438 ft) above sea level.  Will this pose any serious problems for a naturally aspirated burner? 

Ciao,

David

Greetings Dave,

Nice design and great welding...  For the doors ...   Jerry Hoffman from the Blacksmith Journal designed a forge with removable clip on square doors with 1 1/2 hard insulation ...  I have one but no pictures..   Different size openings and a easy drop on feature..  Just about the same size as your door..  I have about 6 sizes of openings on my doors ..  Easy to make out of 11g...  Only use this forge once in a while ...   Good luck on your build...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

If you decide to wrap the interior of the forge body with refractory blanket, have a look at how I floored two of my forges.  

Basically you form a 3/4" or thicker sheet of wet Plastic Refractory mix by rolling the sheet between spacer blocks of the thickness that you desire .  Let the sheet dry to leather hard and carefully place it in the forge over the fiber refractory .  It will conform to the curveature of the forge botton.  After drying, fire the forge which will fire the refractory sheet into a ceramic floor.

I used a commercial refractory repair mix consisting primarily of fireclay, fire brick grog, with addatives for plasticity.  The addatives I believe were graphite, with small amounts of bentonite and /or ballclay ( to improve plasticity) and perhaps zicronia.  If I were to mix my own I would go to a ceramic supply store for a consult  and purchase of materials.

I suppose that you could use insulating brick refractory for the floor and overlay it with a mullite kiln shelf tile cut to fit.