I Forge Iron

Burner Problems

Rinky Dink

I have built a metal forge 12x7x7 inches. I made a ez burner out of 3/4 pipe. It burns great on work bench but when i put in forge it will blow out. If I remove the flare and pull the burner pipe up into the mounting bracket it burns great. Any thoughts? if it is burning without the flare is ok just to use it without it?

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. Heck, if it turns out we're neighbors I'll be forced to tease you mercilessly. While we get your burners running like a Swiss watch that is. <grin>

Using it without the flare won't hurt a thing and if it's the only way you can get it to burn properly then you should take it off. Ron liked using his burners outside the forge as heating torches so he puts high desirability on burning properly outside the forge.

7"x7"x12" is 588 cu/in and about 2x what a single 3/4" burner is actually good for, figure about 300 cu/in for a 3/4" EZ. Back pressure in a forge that shape can be an issue too. A second burner if paced well, will bring the majority of the forge up to welding heat.

Frosty The Lucky.