I Forge Iron

First post and Hardy Questions

Hi! I'm not sure if this is where I post this, but I'm Falcon. I'm a young blacksmith at the age of thirteen. I joined to learn and make friends of whom also smith. :) I was wondering if anyone knows where to get 1/2 inch hardy tools or where to buy some steel to smith them. Thanks friends.

Falcon; if you live in Norway having people tell you where you can buy steel in Australia would be rather a waste of their time, right?  We suggest people edit their profile and put a very GENERAL location or mention it when asking such questions on the WORLD WIDE web

1/2" is rather a small hardy and you will probably have to make your hardy tooling.  Luckily this is fairly easy.

Lucky Guy; lots of old heavy industry up there---rr engines and tanks! 

Does Edco still have their mother store up there.  They used to carry some smithing tools at their Columbus Location and the Lima one was vast wharehouse of WWII surplus machine tooling.

Also SOFA is close enough to make Quad-State and easy run.

I would assume there's a railyard not too far away or other industrial businesses that have heavy scrap steel.  Do a little research and find a contact then send them a nice email explaining what you are doing and what you're looking for.  Odds are they'll be happy to help out, worst they can say is no.  If they say yes, bring some doughnuts & coffee to say thanks.  When you do start making stuff don't forget to stop by occasionally to give them tokens of what you've made.  This was how I got started using a piece of RR track mounted vertically and the workers there would pile up spikes and scrap that they thought I'd find useful.

Even more important, look up your local ABANA group and become a member.  If you're polite and show interest you'll well be on your way.