I Forge Iron

my homemade drum forge build

Iceman_713

so after being on this site for awhile and looking through posts and posting a decent amount myself and talking about building a low budget brake drum coal/charcol forge here is what i have so far, i got the drum from the scrap bin at the auto parts store before they canned me, the pipe i found spelunking in my dads old and very very tired garage, its 2.5 inch diameter pipe which is perfect because that was the size of the hub hole on the drum, the plate welded to the drum is 1/4 steel, i stick welded the wheel stud holes to the backing plate and then stick welded the pipe to the plate, which was probably the hardest part so far( i miss the tig welder i used when i was taking classes) reading through the threads i ran across several that were discussing wooden forges so that is what i decided to make since i have plenty of lumber laying around, i cut four pieces of 2x5.5" and sanded them down then stained what i intend to be the outside and beings as i am in washington and it isnt exactly optimal staining conditions the wood is sitting in the garage to cure then i will assemble it. now comes to my questions, would it be a good idea to stain the entire thing then coat it in polyurethane to protect it against the weather or would that be a rather large fire hazard? im going to fill the main box of the forge with sand so i will get good spacing from the wood that way, as far as a blower i havent decided yet what i will use. Ideas and criticisim are both welcomed gratefully, oh and i almost forgot, would it be a good idea to line the forge with refractory cement to shrink the area the charcol is going to sit in? i was thinking of an upside down funnel style. thank you everyone for your time.

post-47934-0-30222800-1390775988_thumb.j

post-47934-0-19463400-1390776005_thumb.j

post-47934-0-10188400-1390776024_thumb.j

post-47934-0-16052000-1390776043_thumb.j

I've never done it, but I have a factory made firepot. I think a conical shape will work for you, just don't make it steep. Have it extend from the air-grate to the lip of the rim. Then, you can use firebrick to make a contained, deeper fire by placing them around the lip when it is seated in the forge. Charcoal will all burn if you have it like coal, you need to keep only what you want burning in contact with the fire.

It is looking good, I must say! Keep us posted on the progress!

On my brake drum firepot I put a cast iron drain in the bottom then put in castable refractory from the edge of the grate to the rim. Like an upside down cone. The drain grate needs to be removable as it will burn out eventually. This makes it more efficient in burning fuel. 

Hey Ice, I use blacksmiths coal, and a shop vac with a dimmer switch, the kind you buy for the living room lamp, slider type and just go for it.  It goes from 0 to more than I need at the push of a thumb.  Usually I use a moderate, this is subjective of course, blast and have no problems at all.  One thing I adopted from a very knowledgeable smith, the late Grant Sarver, is a domed tuyere,  the clinker falls right off and doesn't block my air flow at all.  In his version he took an end cap for a bit of black iron pipe and drilled a 7/8 inch hole in it.  Mine is a vent cap for an underground fuel tank and ground slits into it.  It works very, very well.  Again being cast its durable and easy to replace.  It will wear out eventually.  Its about the only wear I have in the whole system.  But lasting more than 5 years now I consider that cost minimal. 

well i got the wood stained and that spent the week drying because it is always oh so dry and warm here in washington, first coat of polyeurethane went on the first two sides now to let it dry for a few days. sorry for the unfocused pictures ill try to get some better ones tomorrow.

post-47934-0-88347700-1391135967_thumb.j

post-47934-0-82405700-1391135986_thumb.j

Nice work and good plan.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  I thought about using wood as a frame but a local plumber (& blacksimthing instructor) gave me an old pressure tank to mount mine in. I finished my forge last summer and used a brake drum as the fire pot.  I think the brake drum came from a 70's vintage GM truck and was both a brake drum and a disc brake rotor so it had a large lip to secure the drum to the pressure tank bottom.  I cut the bottom of the pressure tank off leaving a lip of about 3" above the weld to act a side wall. Cut a hole in the pressure tank bottom and mounted the brake drum in the bottom of a steel pressure tank.  I used a thick coat refractory cement to hold four pieces of re-bar in place as a tuyere and fill up some of the space in the bottom of the brake drum while protecting it from the heat at the same time. The pressure tank surface works well as a holding area for green coal.  It has worked well so far with no sign of breaking down.  I attached four (should have used three) 3/4 inch floor flanges to the exterior of the pressure tank bottom and then screwed in 3/4 inch black pipe as legs.  Finished it off with hand crank blower which supplies plenty of air through the flexible tubing another mentor gave me.  Nice to be able to work at home though not as often as I would like. 

I got it at our local Ace Hardware so probably their store brand but it worked well until I tipped the forge over.  I had originally cemented the drum to the inside of the pressure tank to reduce the almost 3/4 inch lip but when I tipped it over to load it the drum came lose and broke the cement filler.  The re-bar tuyere remains intact so I guess I can live with the lip if I want to be able to take the forge to hammer-ins etc (at last until I build a more mobile one).  Moving the forge around seems likely to loosen the fire pot from the hole in the pressure tank.  BTW I called it refractory cement since that seemed to be the appropriate name but it may have been some other type of fireplace/heat resistant cement.  

• 3 weeks later...

well after finally getting my hind end in gear the last few days since it hasnt been cold just raining i finally got the forge 99% complete shes all put together.

instead of going to the hardware store and getting some steel i decided the other day to wander through our old garage and found two commercial sized cookie style sheets and since they were rusty i pretty much think that they are not galvanized so i cut the corners then flattened the sides.

then i attached the legs after staining and coating them in a single coat of polyeurethane.

After attaching the pans to the top of my framework i marked and cut one pan so that it has about a 2" overlap i then riveted the pans together then i traced and cut the hole for my brake drum to nestle in, i was worried that the drum might fall through the pans as they are fairly thin so underneath u attached a crosspiece of angle iron, i will probably put a second one on the other side of the drum but im out of angle iron at the moment. everything nestles nicely together and looks pretty good to me.

im still thinking about covering the bottom of the framework up leaving a hole for the pipe and filling it with sand to further insulate the wood from the head what is everyones opinion on that? im still waffling on whether i should clay the drum or not.

Thank you everyone for the input along the way it was greatly appreciated.

post-47934-0-68413900-1392689024_thumb.j

post-47934-0-84100600-1392689335_thumb.j

post-47934-0-19699400-1392689355_thumb.j

post-47934-0-86796400-1392689371_thumb.j

post-47934-0-83777700-1392689390_thumb.j

post-47934-0-46817000-1392689408_thumb.j

I would suggest trying it out for a while before closing it up. See what it needs first. Adjust as needed. I put refractory in my brake drum not to protect it but to give it a more efficient shape. Try it out and play with shapes to see if you need anything. Overall I think it looks good.