I Forge Iron

Vice I.D

RudolfH

Hey,

I was wondering if you guys can help me identify  a post vice I am reconditioning. Luckily not too much work as it has all its parts and the screw box is good as is the thread on the lever bolt.

I cannot identify the make/origin of the vice, it has 8", the only marks of identification are the number 3 punched onto both legs of the vice and a little shell/flower punch impression right in the corner of the bell housing where the thread box protrudes. These all came to light after I took a wire wheel on a angle grinder to it. Also the legs are also fairly rectangular with a very small relative to size chamfer/bevel on the leg posts.

This is how it used to look when I just bought it. (Sorry the embedded pictured where taken with a cellphone potato camera)

1. From the top of the jaw view

qDgorqm.jpg

2. The side view which also show the mounting plate

hMA94ON.jpg

3.  The bell and mounting plate view.

BPnujvN.jpg

4. Lastly another view

MvNcf1A.jpg

Lastly the bolt keeping the 2 jaws together is tapered from thick to thin, and it has a very large nut on the other side keeping it together, the bolt is also slotted with the leg jaw to keep it from rotating.

Sorry for the long post just trying to give as much info as possible to aid the identification, ie make and circa age maybe.

Also I am from South Africa if Geography has anything to do with it.

The images attached to the post is how it looks now before I repaint and re-assemble.

PS. That is a 75kg anvil next to it in the crummy pictures, the vice is also EXTREMELY heavy.

post-47583-0-35452900-1390456583_thumb.j

post-47583-0-94399700-1390456584_thumb.j

post-47583-0-10218200-1390456588_thumb.j

post-47583-0-79927200-1390456592_thumb.j

I would guess it is a Peter Wright from the overall conformation and description. Many of the Australian and Canadian Peter Wrights had the slight chamfer, and I saw one in Scotland like that, but the PW's exported to the U. S. had deeply chamfered legs. The mounting plate shape, a "manta ray shape," is typical of the PW's. The slot-fitted and tapered bolt is found on early English vises. I have seen a single numeral stamped on the screw box, but never the floral shape. There is the possibility of that being an inspector's mark, a proof mark.