I Forge Iron

heat gun for applying wax?

aparofan

So, I didn't find an answer to my question doing a general search or maybe I'm just lazy. My question is, does anybody use or recommend using a heat gun to apply wax finishes? As it is now, I put pieces back in my gas forge to heat them up but I would much rather use electricity than my propane. Harbor freight has a 1100° gun for $10 and I thought that would be an option. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

I have done that before for small pieces it worked just fine. It takes a bit longer then running it through your forge but if you would rather use electricity, I say go for it. Heat guns are also really useful when you find a spot you missed waxing and instead of putting the whole thing back in the forge, you can just heat that one area real easily.

-Crazy Ivan  

Should work fine.  I also have a special pan that my oiled or waxed pieces go on to heat up in the oven.  Oil is baked on wax is put on when taking out of oven.  Workes great especially when you have like 21 pieces heat treated and into the oven to temper and at the same time have like 5 hooks and some other number of decorative stuff.  Then you can do them all  at once. :D  

Depends on the wax.  I've found rubbing beeswax with a rag generates enough friction to get it flowing into fairly smooth parts.  A sterno chafing dish burner works great without the soot a candle would give for heating up stubborn parts.

Cutting beeswax with equal parts turpentine and petroleum jelly makes a softer cream that can go on cold.