I Forge Iron

Forge firepot question

rhornback

So I built this forge from a break drum and pan, then concrete the drum to make that nice slope and keep coal from hiding in the sides of the drum. I am using an air mattress pump for my blower, and from what I’ve seen produces a good amount of pressure when compared to a hand crank blower (insert brand). The problem I’m having is the heat wants to stay right in the middle and doesn’t spread out evenly like I feel it should. Any suggestions, or cause for this?

post-47963-0-69328100-1385237033_thumb.j

Greetings R,

Sounds to me like an air volume problem.. From you pictures your forge should work fine with the right amount of coal on top..  Air mattress blowers have pressure but insufficient volume.  Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Looks like you are using wood charcoal, which needs a deeper firepot and gentler air supply than coal or coke. Put a few bricks around it as a corral and see if that helps. A working fire is often 6 or more inches deep in the center, a fuel starved fire will keep you from getting any work done.

Also, break up the chunks to road gravel size, so there is less air space between fuel. This works with coal as well, where the best size for small forges is called "nut coal", because it is the size of mixed nuts in the shell.

Cleaning out the ash frequently helps as well. Do you have a "T" in the air supply with an ash dump in the bottom? If so, stop the air and push the fire to the center with tongs or other tool. Ash and very small coals will fall thru, leaving you with only fuel in the firepot.

Thanks Jim for the encouragement as well as the advice. Very well john the ashes in the pic is from charcoal. I typically use coal, but was out at the time I took this photo. Does the 6 in rule apply for coal as well? I got some fresh coal this afternoon and it seemed to be working a bit better than before, must have been a weird batch or something. All in all thank you for the advice. And good eye.. :D