I Forge Iron

Oxy Fuel Torch Uses

Thanks, Steven, yes i definitely need forge weld practice. can you maybe sketch up what you are talking about? i definitely don't follow the second half. or if you have pix or a link, even better.

i didn't really expect the nail "loop cross" to stick as i didn't use any flux or clean it much...plus the overlap wasn't in close contact, but the torch gets it up to heat so easily i figured why not try.

bikecop - glad to hear the good report on the oxy propane. Thats still the set up I plan to start with. I found a rig but the owner didn't have the recipets for the bottle. Still looking. Might have to save and buy new. Adding a gas saver seems like the way to go too.

Hey Eddie, if the price is right on that used kit, then a replacement O2 cylinder with the proper pedigree is ~$200. So might be a good deal. propane cylinder is just a 20# gas grill tank...new filled for~$50 or refill for $20 or less. I bought new since I have no experience and wouldn't recognize issues with older kits that are obvious to old-timer.
I think my forge just got replaced! Uh-oh, blasphemy!

cuts 1/4" steel plate like buttah!  steady speed is critical.  once i started using 2 hands & bracing it got better. 

to minimize cleanup i did the cutting inside a large wheelbarrow with my backup turkey fryer base sitting in it as a table, steel on top of that.

Since the wife & kids walk thru barefooted sometimes, i cannot leave sharp metal slag or shavings on the floor.   

Since the wife & kids walk thru barefooted sometimes, i cannot leave sharp metal slag or shavings on the floor.   

I picked up one of those cheap HF roller magnets one time on sale for a job. Didn't work all that great in the grass picking up nails, but works beautifully for picking up small bits of metal, metal grinding dust, scale and slag off the shop floor.

Yeah magnets especially rare earth magnets are your friend.  I use a wand type I got years back.  Its handy because once you have the shavings/metal all sticking to one end you place it over the receptacle you want the shavings to go into and in the handle there is a rod as you pull it back it retracts the magnet into the handle there by allowing the shavings to drop off. Handy little bugger that one.   I have been meaning to pick up one of those sweeping models as well.  Just haven't yet.