I Forge Iron

Williams White Power Hammer

Today The Williams White power hammer arrived! It is a 90 pound hammer. I have an electric motor for it, but am still debating about whether to get three phase to the shop or just get a Honda or Briggs and Stratton engine to run it. The other plan under construction is the foundation. Just thought I would share. 

E.

post-280-0-01090400-1384518236_thumb.jpg

Why do you need three-phase?  I assume you have power to the shop, so why not just a single phase motor?  The hammer does not appear to be that big.  Depending on the size, a 1.5 hp - 3 hp single phase should do.  Running a gas engine is noisy, and a bit of a pain to have to start each time you want to use the hammer.  And you will have the problem of exhausting the fumes.   So much easier just to throw a switch.

It really does look kind of small. I think the angle and the camera lens took off some pounds. Here is a picture of me next to the hammer. For reference I'm 6' 3".

I'm with you on the electric motor, that and several other factors are being worked out. Ill keep things posted. 

E. 

post-5167-0-59903300-1384555571_thumb.jp