I Forge Iron

Blacksmith(s) in Montana.

Evening all. I was wondering if there was any blacksmith(s) in or near Great Falls Montana? Maybe like a group or some guild. I tried looking for such thing on the interwebs and no such luck for me. Heck even just a person that wouldn't mind me watching them work and asking questions. (even will try my hand at being a striker if needed) Just learning what I can from who I can until I can get all my items together for my smithy. (still in need of an anvil) I'm just eager to learn. If there is a member that wants to set up a meeting time just message me. Id very much appreciate it!   :)

Thank you for your time and info.

PS the group I did find via internet didn't do blacksmithing.... even though there was the site saying that they did. Also I did find a group that is near 4 hours(+) away. That might be an option once the weather is better. But until then I would like to watch a smith at work in person. Help when needed and ask questions when they arise.

• 4 weeks later...

I just started in Lewistown, I'm currently out of coal until who knows when. I beleive theres a bladesmith by Roy and I can not confirm nor deny that. Also I think my neighbor is a bladesmith in Lewistown. Theres a blacksmith shop in Big Timber and theres an old time Blacksmith out at Giltedge that's starting to retire. I don't know if theres any closer to Great Falls, especially during this glorious weather we are having. And you might try contacting the NRBA(Northen Rockies Blacksmith Association) and seeing if they know of anyone near you. Heres their link http://www.hallowellco.com/nrba.htm

• 4 years later...

I am also from Great Falls, I am building my garage right now but when it is built am looking at trying my hand at forging. I to would like to watch over someone’s shoulder and get some info. I have wanted to do this for a long time since first saw a demo at the founders day in Colorado Springs.