I Forge Iron

Confessions of a knife abuser...

Charles R. Stevens

I don't *throw* them, but I've been known to drop heat treated blades from shoulder height onto a piece of concrete (don't want to take chips out of the floor, and the landlord wouldn't appreciate it either!) to test the strength of the tips.  Also stabbing into an old clothes dryer, with caution about any hand slippage.

I'd say that point type is less important than the general geometry and certainly your heat treatment when it comes to point strength.  It's a factor, but you can make fairly pointy tips to be strong.

I can't help thinking of Homer Simpson : "You know the term unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days...(explosion)".

If you don't want a blade to chip striking stone - you'd be better off making a masonry chisel.

There are established means to test edge retention, hardness, toughness, ductility,and so forth. Accurate and repeatable testing is meaningful. Throwing a hunk of metal and dodging shrapnel falls very short on accuracy, repeat-ability, and safety.  Why take the time to build your skills only to risk your hide for no real gain?