I Forge Iron

Aluminum Chimney?

Hello everyone I have a brake drum forge and I want to put a chimney on it so I don't breath the coal smoke. My idea was to use an aluminum milk can with my forge bolted to the bottom and a piece of stove pipe on the top. What I was wondering is if the aluminum would melt.

I use a chunk of 10" aluminum irrigation pipe about 7' long as a side draft on my portable forge. Works really well to pull smoke away. The inlet cut into the side is about 80% of the opening size of the pipe. I cut it as a round top window and pushed the flap back into the pipe to act as a shelf of sorts. It amazes people all the time, how well it works!

post-6253-0-51184300-1381548875_thumb.jp

Those are two pictures of my forge right now and one with the milk can sitting on top. When I attached the can I was going to take to table off. 

Small rivet forges are a pain to work in, unless all you do is small stuff like rivets, shoes and such. That's what your talking about building. I would suggest cutting a slice in the bottom so you can slide it down over the back "wall" of your forge table so the front sits just about even with the edge of your fire pot, cutting a door in the side. Search "side draft" or "super sucker"
It will alow you better access to the fire, keep the aluminum away from the hot fire pot and retain your table.

My stack is right up next to the fire pot. Flames go up the stack when it really roaring. One thing about aluminum is that it transmits heat super well. Unless it in the fire it won't melt.  I've had mine in the fire for the amount of time it takes to get 3/4" round to welding heat with no problems. The wall thickness is about 1/8", I'm sure that helps....