I Forge Iron

Anthracite forge considerations

dennis_hl

So, a local stove dealer is selling 40# bags of anthracite for $5.75. I've been a die hard charcoal user with brief periods of experimentation. I've used coke and smithing coal from centaur forge, but shipping costs have kept me from fully switching over, I can get lump wood charcoal at a reasonable cost from a local hardware store when wally world runs out for the season. However, at roughly $6 for 40 lbs of anthracite I can't resist giving 'er a go. Any considerations for burning anthracite, I'm a dedicated sideblast user, and am gonna play around with that, but are there any other thoughts on using anthracite and forge design? In general does the fire pot need to be deeper than what I'm used to when working with coke? My coke pots are pertty shallow. Charcoal requires a firepot nearly as deep or as deep as it is wide. My "smithing" coal experience has been in a riveter's forge so I can't judge too much one way or the other in that regard.

Anthracite typically has less volatiles so will go out easier. You may need a little bituminuous mixed in to keep the pile burning between heats (maybe 10% but experiment first before you do that). Usually higher in carbon so will burn closer to coke in characteristics - also may make more clinker, just depends on the seam. Anthr doesn't always form a coke button like bitum - again, you'll just have to experiment. No coal is created equally - even from the same mine...

Hey thanks for the replies. I picked up a squirrel cage blower and am making a valve so I can fine tune the fire. I fired up my old coke forge the other night with the anthracite and I sure liked the results, I used a bit of charcoal to get the fire going. I did notice with the handcranked blower I did need to keep on top of the fire. Happy to hear not too much diff in coke and seems to work a bit like charcoal--if I squint really hard ;)

Happy smithin'