I Forge Iron

Warning about North Hampton on 41 to Troy

The Predator police are on the prowl looking for blacksmiths to stop and cite to add to their coffers of their little town. Last year they had 3 blacksmiths with their trailers stopped in town giving them tickets. BE FOREWARNED that 37 in their 35 zone is $185.00 !! They will stop you and write you a ticket. Remember New Rome and their police ??? North Hampton is just as bad. Be Forewarned ....

Ohio Rusty ><>

37 in a 35 zone is usually fightable in most states. Typically if you are less than 9 MPH over the speed limit, they can't convict you for speeding if they are using an electronic timing devise. ( I know that applies to VA, PA and Wash. when I've lived there." That usually is so there can be discrepancies in things like your speedometer, timing system, tire size etc that might change the speed shown. Having said that I've seen speed traps many times where everyone miraculously is going exactly 47 in a 35 zone.... Forget to reset the gun by chance? They'll also often use a "generic" citation vs one for speeding. "failure to obey a trafic control devise" ( ie speed limit sign) is what they will typically rewrite citations for. It usually caries the same fine, but no points. Of course even if you "win" you usually loose since you have to take a day off work and travel there to fight the ticket in court. Many times the cops are more than willing to be "easy" on you and reduce the ticket to a charge with no points if you are willing to simply plead guilty and fork over their money. At least ift can save you the added expense on your insurance.

Around me the favorite money maker is local DOT check points. The local cops have found commercial trucks, and guys with trailers are an easy source of revenue. Failure to have enough straps/chains on things is always a favorite. Minimum used to be 2, but that may now have increased to 4 ( 2 front and 2 rear minimum) and in some cases if an item chained is longer than a specific length, you need chains in the middle as well. Then there's always the requirements that all loads be tarped in some localities. Burned out bulbs, no brakes on trailers or dead trailer batteries, various general safety violations, no inspection on trailer, The list goes on and on... It will get really ugly if they think you look over weight and pull out the scales. In PA if your trailer tops 10,001 lbs, you must have a class A license, same as if you are running  big rig. On top of that they'll usually hit you for no medical card ( required if you need a class A) and probably ding you for having the truck/trailer registered wrong, and the fact you don't have the required 6 month inspection stickers for "commercial" trailers. Just the over weight fine is pretty heafty. TAck on all the other ones and you can be looking at several grand in fines.