I Forge Iron

Buying my first gas forge

Trilliumforge

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first gas forge, and I'm looking for some advice and opinions. I'm considering the NC Whisper Baby or the Whisper Delux 2-door. I'm mostly planning to use it for small stuff (I'd rather do my welding and big stuff in the coal forge), but there's only a $45 difference between the two. The Baby is smaller, but I also think it'll have better fuel economy.

Any advice?

Good Morning,

I have 2 "Mighty-Mite" Propane forges, made by Lorne Bakker in Duncan, B.C. Canada. I bought my first one about 15 years ago.

When Kwantlen College built their new Trades School in Cloverdale, Lorne built the forges for the Farrier Program.

as "Hank McEwan" explained it, "Those are some Forges".

We used Lorne's Forges whe we hosted CanIRON VI, near Victoria in 2007. They are not just a Farrier Forge, when I am teaching Hammer making, the single burner will hold 4 - 2" square hammer heads at the same time. It is a workout to stay ahead of the heat when punching the handle holes. One time I left a hammer head in a little long, I had to turn the propane down to cool it off, THE TONGS WENT INTO THE STEEL, IT WAS JELLY.

Neil

I thought I'd typed a reply to this, but it's not there for some reason. My wireless must have crashed again when I went to post.

I'm not familiar with them personally. Someone recently in the past 2 months mentioned them and I saved the link because they looked like a good inexpensive alternative to building one from scratch. I wish I could remember who here posted up the original link or made a comment about them, but I can't. Hopefully they or someone else can chime in on the subject.

My only recent experiences with gas forges has been with the ones in my class and with two home made ones at a hammer-in in August. The school had three of the Whisper Mommas or a reasonable facsimile, and one that was like the Whisper Momma with the open end ports that they used to heat long stock. I did find the small size to be a hindrance with some of the stuff I was doing. The bigger openings front and back on the Artist Deluxe forge looks more useful for some things.

A quick search pulled up these threads on Majestic here...

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>