I Forge Iron

Carrying spare TIG cups

I am taking a college TIG class, and the instructor had us buy four ceramic cups. I have a large drawstring bag with all my TIG gear in it: hose and torch coiled up, extra collet, extra gas lens, box of electrodes, and three ceramic cups all just rattling around inside the bag. Actually, I wrapped all the cups up in a folded bandana and then put a rubber band around them so they have a little protection. The big drawstring bag is carried inside a duffle bag with my PPE and tools.

My question is: how do you carry extra ceramic cups around without worrying about accidentally smashing them? Do you have a little padded box or something? Do you simply not carry any backups?

I was considering getting a little plastic fishing lure box and sticking some foam in it, provided I could find a suitable-sized box.

I keep most of my tig stuff in a small plastic box similar to what you describe. This allows me to have a couple different tungstens, collets, collet holders, cups etc available and protected. I forget now where I picked the box up, but most likely it was in the tackle section of Cabelas or some other area.like that. If I can put my hands on it and my camera later I'll snap a few pictures.

Generally I stick with one size cup for my gas lens and one or 2 sizes for my standard collet bodies in my "travel" stuff. The standard cups are a 7 or 8 and I'd have to look at what size the gas lens cup is since I can't recall off the top of my head.

I also have a similar small box that holds assorted mig parts as well for class. Usually a few tips, spare nozzles and adapters, etc for the tweeco torches the school runs. Most stuff is under lock and key and it's not always accessible for us at night,

Sorry it took me a bit but the camera battery was dead for some reason. These were the two boxes I could locate quickly at the house. The blue one came from somewhere with a bunch of tig parts. I'm guessing the day instructor at the tech school gave it to me when they got parts in a few years back and they didn't need the plastic box. Clear one is my basic set of parts at the house for my Syncrowave 200.

post-25608-0-77445900-1379288629_thumb.j

post-25608-0-49525600-1379288660_thumb.j

Sorry it took me a bit but the camera battery was dead for some reason. These were the two boxes I could locate quickly at the house. The blue one came from somewhere with a bunch of tig parts. I'm guessing the day instructor at the tech school gave it to me when they got parts in a few years back and they didn't need the plastic box. Clear one is my basic set of parts at the house for my Syncrowave 200.

attachicon.gifDSCN3926.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN3927.JPG

Looks like you have been in my shop had to check if you had mine as that is about what mine looks like ... LOL

Sam

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When i was taking welding courses in college i had a tool box to store my grinder hammers welding jacket etc. For the small stuff like tig gear and such i kept all of that in little plastic fishing lure containers from walmart, i had one for tig gear, flux core(dualshield), and mig welding and had each box labled as such, i typically kept two of each of the common sized tig cups you would most likely use if i recall cups 4-8.