I Forge Iron

Horns? We don't need no stinkin horn!

Dan C

Had a friend come over a few days ago, he and I forged this bickern from a jackhammer bit.  This is the 3rd time now that I've forged the shaft from one of these to fit the hardy.  The 1st time was done solo (never again) and the 2nd time my son helped to make a hot cut.  These have to be the most memorable smithing experiences for me as you're working as a team and passing on knowledge of our craft to others.

post-34362-0-73606600-1378557168_thumb.jpost-34362-0-90817200-1378556609_thumb.j

I ended up cutting the shaft down so it sit right in my vise, thought being able to have it at a different height might be good.  I had wanted to restore the horn of my anvil to a point, but I like this better as I won't have to worry about myself or one of the kids walking into it.

post-34362-0-44972700-1378556573_thumb.j

On the same day we did the bickern, he & I forged a spike hawk from a RR spike.  That usually takes me 6-8 hours solo, with him helping the time was less than 2 hrs.  Next one my son & I will make and likely forge weld in a bit of old file for the cutting edge.  I'll put the bickern to the test this weekend while making the socket of a spearhead from an axle that someone asked for. 

That needle sharp point in the vise gives me shivers. I just see way too many ways a serious accident can happen. I understand the need in some cases, just be really careful around it mounted that way. Stepping back into that or stumbling over something in the shop accidentally would make for a fairly serious injury.

Safety aside I think it looks great. Good to hear you are getting your son involved. I think way too many kids today don't get enough exposure to hands on fabrication since most schools don't have shop classes any more.