I Forge Iron

Hammering injuries?

Hi guys, have any of you suffered any injuries as a result of hammering?

Fotunately, just had my first painful injury directly related to hammering yesterday. Whie bending a piece of 1/2 x 1 at the anvil, a dime-sized flake of scale popped off and landed flat on my tongue.

. . . do you know it's root cause?

Either I apparently "wanna be like Mike", or, more likely I just need to keep my wire brush closer to the anvil, AND use it!

• 1 month later...

Just to drag this one back into life again, I managed to give myself a case of tendonitis in my forearm from my wrist just above my thumb spiraling around the back of my arm towards my elbow.  Did it hammering some wheat heads I was making (see this thread ?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>)'> )

at the quad stage the ends of which were a bit 'gappy' after tack welding.  Closed them up cold hammering at an angle on the anvil and I think the angle I was working at plus the extra shock of hammering cold caused it.  Didn't notice at the time but about an hour later the back of my arm started aching and since then it has developed a nice creak as it moves.  Still learning I suppose

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Sayings and Cornpone

The public questioning and commenting while watching the demonstrating blacksmith.

"Is that hot?" "Whacha makin?" "Ya ever been burnt?" "Don't you shoe horses?" "What's that black stuff you're burning?" "My grandfather was a blacksmith, but he was a real blacksmith!"

i got one to add to that list "is it hot in there "?

every time i feel like saying no its not that hot its only 30C out side and we are standing over a coal fire that is most likely burning at 1000 degrees what do you think

• 2 weeks later...