I Forge Iron

Graduation present in G10

Stormcrow

This was a commission from a Marine who wanted a high school graduation present for his brother who is slated to attend West Point.  He wanted my Benghazi Warfighter design with handles in the high school's colors, navy blue and white.  Given the limited color palette in Micarta, I turned to G10 for the very first time.  I'd read horror stories about how difficult it is to work with, and of course there is the extra health hazard with the glass fibers while shaping it, but overall it wasn't too bad.  It's not a material I want to work with a whole lot, but I'm sure I'll use it more down the road.

In addition, he wanted "Class of 2013" on the handle.  I looked around, found a laser engraver who specializes in firearms and is only a 15 minute drive away, and got it taken care of.

ms05_zps0385a3b2.jpg

ms06_zps05053125.jpg

This was also the first time I used a liner on a slab handle, in this case white G10 to match the school's colors.  Nothing much to it; I epoxied the two different colors of G10 together and clamped them tightly overnight, then worked it as a single piece as I always would.  :)

ms09_zps21fe5634.jpg

Other than that, it was relatively typical for me.  5160 steel, triple normalized, triple hardened, triple tempered, shaving sharp.  Flared stainless steel tube rivets.  Kydex sheath, gray in this case, with a TekLok.  Da woiks.  :D

Like it, well except the blue handle.  Please, if a customer wants pink say no.. :huh:   (my daugter wanted a pink handled Bowie, I did what any one else would have done..  " honey, they don't make pink stuff for handles." -_-  

There's probably no greater honor for a knife maker than when one of our soldiers carries it. B)   well done!

I've got a twisted sense of humer.  The blue handle does look good. :D

Heck, I made a pink-handled knife for my sweetheart several years back.  Might have saved from an unsavory character lurking in the parking garage at her school when she casually pulled it out of her purse and stuck it in her back pocket.  At any rate, he beat tracks out of there.

allieknife006.jpg

Pink ivory handle, ebony spacer, railroad spike guard, car spring blade.