I Forge Iron

Small game skinner WIP

Eddie Mullins

Thought I would share my current work in progress, a small game skinner I designed that will be my first knife to really finish properly. I hope to put it to use this fall on some racoons.

I drew out the sketch a made myself a pattern, this was a first for me at this.

7-5-13knifetemplate_zps6901174e.jpg

Next cut a piece of leaf spring, I had to kind of guess at the size of the material needed.

7-6-13knifetemplateand4inspringsteel_zps

I forged to rough shape, it ended up being a little larger than desired so I had to do a little trimming.

7-6-13knifetemplateandasforged_zpse9e3a8

Then I went to work with hand files and started profiling the knife.

7-7-13knifereadyforheattreat2_zps8bf42f3

7-7-13knifereadyforheattreat_zpsb9b98dad

I am just about ready for heat treat. Hope to finish it this weekend. I'll post pics when I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks very good hand profiling & a bit of grinding I hope or you are one heck of a filer I like the handles as well what wood are they did i miss that ?

Sam

Thanks the wood is just red oak available from a local box store. I thought it would do well for me to learn to shape handles, and can be replaced later if I decide to.

I can tell you got a work out filing this one LOL. I just finished another knife, much larger, but forged much closer to shape, and took less file work.