I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Age

I have found a nice peter wright anvil with great edges and nice top. One side is radiused smooth and the other has just a couple of flea bites on it. It is 157# (marked 1 1 17), and I was wondering two things....first, I am traveling on business, so silly me did not bring my copy of Postman's book. So, could someone tell me the time frame for a Peter Wright anvil that is marked "Peter Wright" followed by "Patented", with the "Solid Wrought" circle?

Second question, does eveyone think a price of $360 is fair (about $2.29 per pound)?

Not being at home with the resources I have there, I just want to get thoughts on it. Oh, unfortunattely I did not have a camera with me at the time, but top is smooth and flat, with very litle sway, maybe a 1/16 or so

If the Peter Wright anvil has "England" stamped on it, it means it is after the 1910-1911 (or so) requirement to have the origin of manufacture stamp.
If no England stamp with the Pantented mark, then it was before that ballpark year of 1910-1911.

Condition and location can play a huge part in anvil prices.  Along with size, seller's motivation, your desires, etc.....
Pictures for the forum to look at are always helpful, but if you're happy with the price you paid that is the most important factor. ;)
But for a very nice condition PW, it sounds like a very fair price.

THere is no "England" on it. The word "Peter" is on one line, "Wright" on the next, "Patented" on the third line, followed by the "Solid Wrought" circle below and near the weight marks. I have not purchased it yet, just thinking about it. I understand about location and other conditions. It seems like a fair price, but I'm not that familiar with Peter Wrights.

In Australia the majority of undamaged quality anvils will be Peter Wright anvils 1880's through 1910. The top plate is very tough, I have seen a few chipped from cold work and abuse but it is not uncommon to see one that has been used regularly for 3 or 4 generations with barely a mark on it. The most common size is #250, some of the #350's can have had the edges too radius-ed for small detailed work. #150's are very popular over here and probably average the most money per pound of any anvil. I would pay $350 for a Peter Wright of that vintage with good edges and corners and up to double that for a #350 with tight square edges (and little or no damage).