I Forge Iron

G'day from central VIC, Australia...

G'day to all,

Tom here, been following IFI for a couple of months now.

Very new to this - made a forge from truck rim and blower a few weeks ago and have butchered a few very basic scrolls into existence so far. Far far from perfect, but having a great time beating red hot metal - seems like magic to me!

Have acquired some basic tools, leg vice, but a real anvil still eludes me - currently using two truck hubs stacked on top of another truck rim - not pretty but mostly working.

Will post in the Aussie roll call too!

cheers,

Tom

Welcome aboard Tom, glad to have you.

Check around the site, there are bunches of posts about anvil finding, search "TPAAT" the Thomas Powers Anvil Acquisition Technique is a proven and very effective method for finding anvils and tools in general.

Playing with fire and beating things with hammers is so much fun the GVT will make it illegal if they find out. Welcome to the addiction, enjoy the trip.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty!

Yes i was reading the TPAAT post last night. Turns out I have put some of it into practice unwittingly already, though not very intentionally.

I mentioned my new found interest to a friend in passing a few weeks back and now I have a rail track anvil inbound to me from his dad's shed. I hope this counts for "breaking the seal" on my TPAAT journey LOL!

cheers,

Tom