I Forge Iron

First Attempt at a Chefs Knife

steamingiron

All I can tell you is the same thing I tell everyone.  Use it.  You can, if your honest wit yourself, be your best critique.  I've got a chefs knife I made a couple of years ago and everytime I use it (it's much sharper than the factory made stuff my wife has) I'm reminded of the mistakes I made in it's design.  I like the wood, but you didn't pin it did you?  After a year or two it could come unglued.  Looks good.  ;)

Nice work.  For cooking, I like having a bit of rocker to the blade.  That would require it to be a tad narrower at the bolster area to allow it to pivot over the central area of the blade.  Generally I like the back side of the handle to be level with the back of the blade.  I also like it to "hang" properly.  The weight of the blade must balance at the bolster.  Often chef's knives have larger bulbs at the end of the handle to add mass for that reason.  All of that pertains to my particulars on USING a chefs knife.  What you've made is very nice knife that certainly works.