I Forge Iron

Hello from western NC

I run a small welding/fab/ornamental iron shop in WNC and have been messing around with smithing since '99.

After reading just a little of the great info here I decided I must join another forum to keep me from getting any real work done.

Hi.

Brian

Welcome aboard Brian, glad to have you. There's enough to read here you can kill a couple weeks without having to post anything. We like to warn new folk to bring a lunch and something to drink. One last little note, we LOVE pics, most any pics, project pics, shop pics, tool & equipment pics, process pics, scenery, pets, family, pics, we love em.

Frosty The Lucky.

Now THAT'S an intro! Nice shop and some darned nice work. I can see the pro aspects to the projects rather than the one off hand made you often see from smiths. Being able to turn out quality production work is how a person can afford to do the fun stuff.

You're going to fit right in with the gang Brian.

Frosty The Lucky.

Now THAT'S an intro! Nice shop and some darned nice work. I can see the pro aspects to the projects rather than the one off hand made you often see from smiths. Being able to turn out quality production work is how a person can afford to do the fun stuff.

You're going to fit right in with the gang Brian.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks. So when do I get to make a sword? :)

No, really for my first project I'm thinking of a power hammer.

That research is what led me here.

I've had a couple of jobs come through the shop lately where one would be beyond handy, almost necessary.

Back in the late 90's I had a job at an ornamental iron shop for a journeyman blacksmith. That's where my first formal training in the craft came from.

We refurbished his 100 lb Little Giant and he gave me many hours of hot work with it. Now I "need" one for me.

I can't afford the real thing so I plan on home built. As fate would have it I have a large part of the needed materials, already.

Now for some research, research, research.

Thanks.