I Forge Iron

Anvil ID Help

What you got there is a Peddinghaus anvil. Peddinghaus anvils are made of drop forged steel, not cast, made in Germany.

They're one of the high end quality anvils, certainly a keeper. (The Pattern is a single horn North-German. Hence the location of the hardie hole.)

Looking at the sides, it doesn't say "RIDGID Peddinghaus". This means the face has a higher Rockwell hardness than the new Ridgid Peddinghaus anvils (54-56 HRc)

Exactly what TechnicusJoe said: 20th century Peddinghaus. In that period of manufacture they stamped "ORIGINAL PFP" in an outline box. It may be shallow and hard to make out.

This isn't an Orginal P.F.P. Peddinghaus anvil. All P.F.P.s (earlier model than the O. P.F.P.) and Orginal P.F.P.s were forge welded at the waiste. I can prove this, if needed. I have 2 Orginal P.F.P. double horn anvils with upsetting block.

wd&mlteach's pictures show a Peddinghaus anvil that was made after the Orginal P.F.P.s. You can easily tell, because the waiste has been arc welded and not forge welded.

It's still a high end quality tool.

Thanks for the explanation Joe. Do you know when they switched from forge welding the waist to arc welding?

Peddinghaus has done arc welding and forge welding. The company was founded in 1903, but I don't know the year when they started making anvils specifically.

But I do know that in the period of 1903 to the 1930s they made the P.F.P. Peddinghaus anvils, which came in a lot of different styles and weights, up to 440+ - pounds.

(Only in the 1903 to the 1930s period, the heavier anvils were made in different kind of style, which stopped in the 1930's.

I was told by Refflinghaus the Orginal P.F.P.s were made in '50s-'60s. I can't say for sure what they did between 1930 to 1950. They may have arc welded during that time, and perhaps as result that the arc welding wasn't as good as now, they switched back to forge welding, naming their anvils "Orginal P.F.P.s". As a reference "using the old method again". Just a possible way of events that seems logical to me.

After that they went to arc welding for sure in the '70s, which macbruce helps proving with his purchase. But pin pointing when they stopped doing forge welding, I can't

It could already have been in the early '60s, or in the late '60s. Somewhere around the '60s and '70s arc welding became permanent.