I Forge Iron

Bearded wrap weld axe

So I saw a post of kyboy's about making a wrapped style hatchet (with no electricity) and loved i. So I figured I'd try now that I felt like I could weld. I used a piece of 1018 that was 7/16-1/2" or so maybe ten inches long and two inches across. Along with two 1/8" thick pieces of 1095 to fit in for the bit. I have just started this blacksmithing thing maybe for six months now and for the last two I've had an anvil and a forge so things are changing for the better. Again just like the other one I need to make a drift to fit the "haft"? I'm unclear as to every term to use but I understand its function. :) I may have been over confident from the piece of crane cable I welded up as I hear its easier being thinner but I think the weld has held and I have yet to finish the rest up. I think it's a little out so I may heat it a few more times to square it up. I'll post more pics when it's done

post-41829-0-63053300-1371932046_thumb.j

post-41829-0-78617300-1371932061_thumb.j

post-41829-0-10283700-1371932111_thumb.j

post-41829-0-55620100-1371932135_thumb.j

post-41829-0-50606300-1371932166_thumb.j

I like it! Looking forward to the finished product. I am a rookie too but I would think that a single piece for the bit would be earlier to weld than 2. Just one more joint to keep fluxed. I need to try making one of these now.

I agree fully but all I had was one thickness and I wanted thick stuff in the bit. It turns out I live pretty close to Canadian knifemaker or supply something in sundre ab. Maybe I'll go for a rainy drive to the mountains. Bt yeah single would've been easier. I'll know when I file it up a little cleaner if it stuck. I wouldn't be surprised if I comes apart when I hammer a wedge in the handle lol.