I Forge Iron

new knife

Dan C

This is my 2nd file knife and the first time I've done a full tang w/ scales.  The previous one was a partial tang & antler handle.  Same tempering as above and passed the wood test with the point of the blade. 

Question I have is what sort of price tag to put on the knife.  The blade is 2 3/4" long, knife overall 6" and was requested by a customer who's also buying a RR spike kso.  Typically I sell the stuff I make so I'm getting $25-30 an hour.  On something like this I don't feel like I can do that as there's time spent for the learning curve, and after 120 grit sanding I had to polish or sand everything by hand as I don't have a decent belt grinder yet (in the works).  I'd make a better sheath to go w/ it, this was just one I had onhand.

I know what I want for it, and if the customer doesn't want to pay that much I'm okay keeping it for myself or giving it to my dad for Father's Day. 

post-34362-0-40888700-1370962358_thumb.j

Thanks for asking.  About 6 hrs on the knives and then 2 hrs at least for the sheath, probably more like 3. I hadn't done a stacked double sheath before and lost track of the time.  The picture above was not the sheath for this one as the buyer wanted a double sheath. 

post-34362-0-85981800-1371476654_thumb.jpost-34362-0-61073500-1371476662_thumb.j

I'd like this setup better had they both been matching file knives, but this is what the customer asked for.

I haven't delivered them yet, but sent the buyer pictures with my price of $170 which he felt was a fair price and is excited to see them.  I have to build a better grinder in the very near future, probably a 2x72.  Currently I'm using a 1x30 cheap HF one, it works but is slow and then I spend too much time doing stuff by hand.  Then I'm torn between selling something for what I feel I'd pay and trying to get compensated for my time.