I Forge Iron

My first shortsword.

neg

Well, this is my first attempt ever at any sort of sword. I made it from an unknown steel and did not harden or temper it in any way. It's not intended to be used, I did this purely to test myself, to see if I could do it.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I made it from a 1" square bar; something I wouldn't suggest anyone doing by hand, like I did. I really should have used something a lot thinner, but it's all I had at the time. The blade is 15", the sword is 21 1/2" overall. Forged to shape, then ground with a belt grinder and filed.

post-27440-0-86040900-1370371352_thumb.j

You know, I haven't weighed it. It should be on the heavy side. The blade is probably a bit thicker than it should be and the gaurd and pommel are heavy. I'll put it on a scale when I get the chance. :) And I'm not terribly interested in making more swords, I like to make more useful things. It's just that everyone keeps telling me I need to make one, so I finally did. :P