I Forge Iron

Replica of Locke's Knife from Game of Thrones

Gundog48

Saw this knife in the show and decided I should give it a go. It's my first time doing a replica, in fact, it's the first knife I've made with a wooden handle or any kind of fittings! It was a fun one to do as there wasn't a whole lot of grinding to do- it was practically forge finished. It was forged from 5160 and deferentially tempered to a light brown at the blade and blue at the back. It's very cleaver-like and is surprisingly good at slicing, I still need to work on my sharpening as I can never get my knives as sharp as I would like! I think it could have done with being a little thinner, but other than that, I'm pretty happy.

Copyrighted material removed.

post-24777-0-82514500-1370343162_thumb.j

post-24777-0-43110600-1370343174_thumb.j

post-24777-0-20577500-1370343199_thumb.j

Gundog,

It's a cool profile, I can see why you'd want to make one.  I also struggled with getting things sharp like they should be until I learned to feel for a wire edge.  Once I can feel a wire along one entire side, I switch to light abrading on the opposite side to hone the wire off.  I spent way too long with coarse abrasives.  I'm still finding my way with it but practice makes perfect.

One thing that's helped immensely is the razor sharp paper wheels they sell at Woodcraft.  They're 8" laminated brown paper wheels.  One of them has grit glued on it which you can replace with glue and spare grit.  The other wheel is slotted and you put polishing rouge on it.  It's really easy to get hair popping polished edges with it but they slide rather than grab if you polish it too much.