I Forge Iron

Forge plans

Hey guys,

Well I'm designing a new and first forge and just thought I'd get some more experienced heads into the mix. The plans pretty much show everything so I'll cut to the chase. Are there any things you goes would recommend to go with this or changes. I'll mostly be using coke I think due to availability.
Also how thick a plate do you recommend using for the bottom plate, I'm thinking 10mm but that might be a bit thick... So any preferences?

Might add measurements 700mm by 500mm and 800mm high

post-31188-0-73029200-1370248473_thumb.j

While I'm at it I might throw a pic of my anvil in just to keep things simple and joined :)

post-31188-0-48076800-1370248493_thumb.j

Looks like a perfectly workable forge plan. I might move the fire pot a little more centered but plenty of guys like it about that close to the end. I'd certainly put a shelf on the stretchers between the legs, shelves are just so handy.

Another feature I put on my coal forges are simple clip on tong racks, the forge is where you'll need tongs the most often so having them hanging right there is handy.

Lastly, a couple helpers to support long stock are handy things too. I welded square tubing under my forge table and made helpers with telescoping tubing so I can pull them out or push them in out of the way.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks frosty,

Thanks for the great ideas :). The telescoping helpers is a great idea, I'll have to add them in to the plan, along with the tong clips and the shelf.

Just a question, how long do your helpers extend? I guess it would vary on the work.

My helpers are on my propane forge and extend just less than the table's full width, about 18". to have them on opposing  sides I staggered the support tubes so the arms pass under the table. Nobody's noticed they're about 3/4" off center of each other. <sneaky wink>

The tong clips just slide onto the forge table rim. Before I had a bunch of tongs stolen I had plans to have a stand so I could keep tongs arranged by type and change them out quickly but that isn't necessary anymore. (EYuck that grape was sour! Sorry)

Frosty The Lucky.