I Forge Iron

Having work chromed

Drewed

I have a job that the customer is going to want to have chromed. Is there anything special I need to do to make this possible? Is there a certain type of steel I should use, or not use? Hot rolled vs cold rolled? Sand/ grind / polish?

Chrome is more than chrome, surface prep then nickel plate, then copper plate, then chrome. All of this is to cover and hid imperfections in the metal work.

As said above the plater will have wot specs you need to work within. if you clean welds etc with a disc grinder and leave scratches, they will hit with buffers and plate to cover it up. The scratches that do show will be known as your scratches!

Find out wot grit finish they would prefer. The better your prep the nicer their work looks.

Speaking from experience, the more you make it look like chrome before you take it to get it chromed, the less they will have to charge you for. Most of the cost for chrome plating is polishing I.E. Labor. As said above, it will only be mirror shiny chrome if it was mirror polished before it was dipped. Any steel can be plated with chrome but it will only be shiny if its shiny to begin with. YMMV

the chrome plating is only a few microns thick as is the nickel under it.

many people are under the false impression that chrome (or any other plating- silver, copper etc) will fill in any scratches and smoothe a rough surface, but years working as a platers assistant/polisher/antique silverware restorer, gives me a pretty solid opinion on the matter, and it is a resounding NO!.

chrome over a rough surface is a shiny rough surface, and looks as it sounds- ROUGH. even fingerprints on a polished steel surface can cause oxidation which can then be seen in the finished peice. dont ask me how i know this..... :rolleyes:

the type of steel is not a problem, they even give plastic objects a metallic coating, and then chrome it.

be sure to handle the finished chrome plated object with cotton gloves, getting greasy fingerprints off chrome can cause more scratches than it is worth.